The Virginia Academy of Family Physicians (VAFP) is accepting nominations for the 2018-2019 elected Student Director position on the VAFP Board of Directors. The VAFP Board of Directors is the governing body of the VAFP and is comprised of physicians across the Commonwealth from many different practice types and geographic regions. The elected Student Director is a voting member of the Board and serves a one-year term beginning in November 2018.
- Be a student member of the VAFP.
- Review meeting agenda and supporting materials prior to each Board meeting.
- Intent to attend VAFP Board of Directors Meetings.
- Fall Board Meeting – November 3, 2018 – Tides Inn – Irvington, VA
- Winter Board Meeting – January 26, 2019 – Wintergreen Resort – Wintergreen, VA
- Spring Board Meeting – Exact Date TBD April 2019 – Via Teleconference
- Summer Board Meetings – Thursday, July 18 and Sunday, July 21, 2019 – Virginia Beach, VA
- Attend the AAFP National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students scheduled July 25-27, 2019 in Kansas City, Missouri and serve as the Virginia Student Delegate. (https://www.aafp.org/events/national-conference/congresses/orientation.html)
- Represent the views and interests of students within the Commonwealth.
- Provide brief oral and/or written report at each Board meeting on medical student activities within the Commonwealth. (connecting with each medical schools’ family medicine group in advance of each meeting)
- Support from medical school department chair for participation.
- Follow-up communications to the family medicine group regarding any Board actions that impact students
- Fall Board Meeting – one night’s hotel, mileage, one day per diem at $40 per day
- Winter Board Meeting – two night’s hotel, mileage, two days per diem at $40 per day
- Spring Board Meeting – no funding associated with teleconference meeting
- Summer Board Meetings – three night’s hotel, mileage, three days per diem at $40 per day
- National Conference – Economy airfare, four nights hotel, five (5) days per diem at $40 per day, meeting registration fee (excluding workshops) and incidental expenses to include taxi, baggage fees and airport parking.
- Each Virginia medical school may nominate only one student to run as a candidate.
- Candidates to complete the on-line nomination form (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VAStudent18) no later than September 1, 2018.
- Submit head shot photo to email@example.com no later than September 1, 2018.
- In September, information that includes the name, school and personal statement from each candidate and a ballot will be distributed to each family medicine department contact.
- Each Virginia medical school is entitled to cast two votes for students nominated for Student Director on the VAFP Board of Directors.
- The family medicine department contact at each school is responsible for querying the students of his or her school to determine who will receive the two votes.
- Each medical school must vote for two candidates for the ballot to be valid, and only one of these votes may go to a student from their school, if one is nominated.
- Election results will be announced in late-September 2018.
For additional information or questions, please contact Matt Schulte (firstname.lastname@example.org – 804-968-5200).