Saturday, November 7, 2020
Call for Scholarly Activity
The Virginia Academy of Family Physicians is seeking submissions for the VAFP Scholarly Symposium to be held on Saturday, November 7, 2020.
Criteria/Who Can Participate:
Submissions from AAFP members ($15 fee) and non-members ($25 fee) who are medical students, residents, and fellows.
Scholarly activity may be presented in poster format or as an oral presentation
- Type of scholarly activity may be clinical or population health research, medical education research, literature review, case reports, QI/PI projects, clinical successes, patient stories, or educational projects.
- Topic should be relevant to family medicine/primary care.
- Submissions must be of original work not yet published or presented at regional or national meetings (except institutional symposiums).
- Submission may be a work in progress or completed.
- Collaborative work is welcome.
- Concurrent (2020) submissions to other conferences such as the North American Primary Care Research Group (NAPCRG) and Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) are encouraged.
- Medical student projects previously presented at medical schools are accepted/encouraged.
Format of Submission:
The format may be an oral presentation from the podium and/or printed posters that are viewed in a gallery setting on boards. Some submissions from each category by registrant type (medical students, residents and fellows) will be chosen to do a short presentation during the symposium. Presentations should be fifteen minutes, including 10 minutes of presentation and five minutes of questions and discussion.
During the Symposium:
All projects will be reviewed and provided feedback by a minimum of two judges. Review will focus on the following:
- Significance of findings for practicing family physicians
- Innovation of scholarly activity
- Quality of presentation
- Quality of methods used to generate findings
For presentations and posters in which the above criteria do not apply, reviewers will seek to evaluate the extent to which the submitted presentation is of interest to family physicians.
How to Submit Your Project:
Complete the application form via this link. If you have multiple submissions, one application form should be completed for each submission. If you do have more than one submission you only need to pay the fee one time.
Submit application including abstract (250 words or less) no later than September 7, 2020.
Submit electronic posters and/or oral presentations no later than November 1, 2020.
Questions: Please call Cheryl Modesto at 804-968-5200 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.